Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Crossing the Line.

I may be a little biased writing this, but I feel that people should really open themselves just a little. True, I am a nursing student. But I am also a citizen of this world. And so is each and every other human being in this world. So doesn’t everyone deserve the same respect and dignity?

Okay, I will probably get a thousand questions asked for that last sentence I wrote; questioning me about the criminals. Do criminals deserve the same respect and dignity as others? I say, if they were in their conscious mind when they committed the crime, then NO, they don't deserve the same dignity and respect as others. But I am not talking about criminals here. I am talking about the poor, the homeless.

We often ignore the people on the streets. We notice the pretty colours on the stores’ windows; we notice the nice poster for the up-coming movies; BUT we never take the time to notice these people living in the street. This is because we cave into the stigma associated with the people on the streets. We see ONE homeless person being rude, loud, using vulgar language, and being violent; and we automatically apply this image to ALL other homeless on the streets. Is it fair for the rest of them to have to walk around with this label caused by one homeless person? I guess its human nature to do this as we do it so often.

People are scared to go near a homeless person. WHY? They have nothing on them. No roof over their heads, no food to eat, no change of clothes. So why are you scared of them? They can’t harm you.

I am so thankful, that I decided to apply for this placement for my school. Because I have learned so much, beyond what my school expected me to learn. I have to be completely honest here. I guess, before I took this placement I had caved into the stigma too. But now my eyes are opened. I have been exposed to their lifestyle, and it saddens me to see how some people react when they come across a homeless person.

The last time I was doing the homeless out reach, I was noticing the expressions of the people who passed by. I, along with a colleague and a staff of this organization (not mentioned for privacy reasons), were talking to this one homeless person on the streets. And no lie, EVERY single person who passed by us gave us a look. A look that portrayed “what are you doing talking to that homeless guy”. It was a look that said “oh no, you have crossed the line”.

WHAT LINE? How can you create a line there? Are they not a person? Are they not human being? Are they not a citizen of this world? Sure, they do not have roof over their heads. Sure, they don’t have food to eat. Sure, instead of worrying about what to wear, they worry about whether or not it’s going to rain during the night. But does that change the fact that they are still a human being that needs to breathe and eat to survive?

People usually create an imaginary line in their everyday life; usually to stop themselves from doing something they will regret. The truth is we all do it. We all draw lines in our lives to prevent ourselves from doing something wrong. And that is perfectly understandable. But, doesn’t it sound ridiculous that it is okay to smile at those walking by in the streets, but not okay to even look at those living in the streets? Smiling at a homeless person and saying hello is not something that you will regret. Smiling and saying hello to these people is not a mistake. In fact, next time you walk by a homeless person, say hello. Ask them how their day is going. If they are panhandling, ask them how their business is going. It is perfectly legal to panhandle in Canada. I am not asking you to give them money if they are panhandling. Because I don't believe that the money they get from panhandling goes to food. Most homeless people do have addiction problems. And although you should respect and let them do what they want to do with the money, I suggest you don't give money because it is most likely going to their addiction problem and not to food. BUT just talk to them, make their day. They don’t have anyone else to talk with. And if someone says hello to them I’m sure they will appreciate it.

Don’t draw a line where the line is not needed. Because it is not a mistake to put a smile on a homeless person’s face. And if you have already drawn that line, then go ahead CROSS THE LINE. You'll see this won't be something you'll regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment